Young Scholars Symposium Call for Applications
Call for Applications, Young Scholars Symposium
The University of Notre Dame’s Institute for Latino Studies (ILS) convenes advanced graduate students and junior scholars from across the nation for a two-day Young Scholars Symposium, to enhance their research in Latino Studies. The symposium is hosted by Institute for Latino Studies Director Luis R. Fraga, the Rev. Donald P. McNeill, C.S.C., Professor of Transformative Latino Leadership, and the Joseph and Elizabeth Robbie Professor of Political Science.
Presiding over the 2019 Young Scholars Symposium will be Distinguished Visiting Professor, Vicki L. Ruiz, Distinguished Professor Emerita of History and Chicano/Latino Studies at the University of California at Irvine. Professor Ruiz has recently been appointed scholar-in-residence at Occidental College's Institute for the Study of Los Angeles.
Selected participants will present a completed essay that will be reviewed by Professor Ruiz and members of the Notre Dame faculty affiliated with ILS. All expenses are covered by ILS including an honorarium of $500. Up to six participants will be selected.
Applicants in their final year of graduate study and junior faculty who have not yet published their first book are eligible to apply to the ILS Young Scholars Symposium. Application deadline January 15, 2019.
Applicants should submit the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor
- An application letter, under 2 pages, that presents
- a summary of the dissertation project and/or overall research program,
- a précis of the proposed essay submission for the symposium,
- a statement of progress to date on the overall project and on the proposed essay,
- a statement of how specifically Distinguished Visiting Professor Vicki Ruiz’s expertise and mentorship will enhance your research.
Please submit a completed application with all materials in PDF format, no later than January 15, 2019 at 11:59 pm, directed to Professor Luis R. Fraga, ILS Director, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may also be directed to this address.