The University of Notre Dame’s Institute for Latino Studies, in collaboration with the Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts, the College of Arts and Letters and the Department of Film, Television and Theatre, is seeking writers to participate in a one-week playwriting workshop, in the tradition of award-winning playwright Maria Irene Fornés, to be held in downtown Chicago.
Fornés is considered by many to be the “founding mother” of U.S. Latinx theatre, and the Fornés Playwriting Workshop will impart her playwriting methods to participants as they immerse themselves in her legacy over the course of one week.
Led by award-winning playwright and Fornés protégée Migdalia Cruz, an alumna of Fornés’s Hispanic Playwrights in Residence Laboratory at INTAR, the workshop will meet for four hours each day and will culminate in a public reading of selected scenes from workshop students by professional actors in Chicago.
Each selected writer will attend the workshop free of charge and will receive a $250 stipend to help with travel and lodging costs while attending. For those living outside the Chicago area, the workshop will assist in locating reasonably priced lodging.
The workshop will be coordinated by playwright Anne García-Romero, Thomas J. and Robert T. Rolfs Assistant Professor, in the Department of Film, Television and Theatre, at the University of Notre Dame.
Submission Deadline: by
Workshop participants will be announced:
· Must be 18 years of age or older.
· Need to have some previous writing experience.
· Must be available to attend the entire workshop, without exception.
· Complete the online application found here.
· Submit the following materials, in one PDF document, via email to email@example.com. The document must have your last name in the file name (i.e. lastname.fpw17)
1. 10 pages of creative writing (play, fiction, or poetry).
2. A brief professional bio or one page resume.
3. A brief Artist’s Statement [200 words max] that details your interest in participating in the Fornés Playwriting Workshop.
For more information, please contact Lucas Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org