Cross Cultural Leadership Program
The Cross-Cultural Leadership Program (CCLP) connects students with summer internship opportunities in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.
Students in this three-credit, eight-week summer course will be immersed in community-based and national organizations. They will also engage in critical study related to their service learning in a class led by a Notre Dame professor. To promote full immersion in this service-learning experience, students will not be placed in their home communities.
Cross Cultural Leadership Program Features
For Summer 2021, CCLP will be virtual for Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. sites. The Puerto Rico site will not be offered in the Summer of 2021.
- 3-credit course led by ILS faculty with all materials provided (credits applied following academic year).
- Scholarship of $2,500 upon completion of 8 week, full-time (approx. 32 hours per week) community based organization assignments and course work in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. (Scholarship is applied in the fall to your university award).
If allowable due to the COVID-19 pandemic: Free Housing with 3+ ND undergraduates in the heart of the city.
If allowable due to the COVID-19 pandemic: Air Travel to and from Chicago, Los Angeles, or Washington, D.C.
If travel is allowable due to the COVID-19 pandemic: Stipend of $1,200 for food and bus/train pass for 8 week stay in Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C.
- Attend three orientation sessions in the spring semester prior to summer service learning course.
- Register for a three-credit course. Credit is granted in the fall following completion of the summer service learning course. For students studying abroad in the fall, credit will be conferred in the spring.
- Read all course books and course packet articles.
- Keep a journal.
- Participate in class sessions with professor and other students.
- Write synthesis paper at the end of the course.
- Final presentation of your experience at end of summer service learning course to other students, faculty, community members, and alumni of Notre Dame.
- Participate in all follow up activities in fall following summer service learning course such as exit interview, video, and open house for future potential applicants.
The application process for Summer 2021 has closed. Please consider applying for the Summer of 2022.
Students from all programs and majors are encouraged to apply.
Submission window: November 9 - February 15
Virtual Internship Program Dates: Tuesday, June 1 - Friday, July 23, 2021
"As a child, I served as an interpreter and navigator for my family. Working at Taller de Jose in Chicago as a 'compañera,' I related to my clients who needed someone to help them access healthcare and disability resources. I attended to the immediate needs of walk-in clients, reviewed grant narratives, connected people with Catholic Charities. The Resurrection Project and other agencies across the city, accompanied clients to the hospital, and provided support by being a good listener and communicator. The optimism and hopeful nature of the Mexican American community in Chicago inspired me. Mexican Americans show us their strength and perseverance generation after generation.”
Iesha Magallanes '20
Chicago • Taller de José
Computer Science and Design Major
Special Thanks to ....
• Arthur and Joanne Velasquez for their generous endowment in support of the CCLP Chicago site.
• The Notre Dame Club of Los Angeles for being a generous supporter of the CCLP Los Angeles site through annual endowment contributions raised at club events.